Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search of

Eli Pariser: Beware online "filter bubbles" | Video on TED.com

   Filter Bubbles? I learned exactly what a filter bubble was from this video because before this I wasn't to sure there was even a such thing. I also learned that things are being filtered out of my reach everyday due to some "algorithm" that some one else wrote that decides what I like and don't like, or more technically what I will be more prone to look at. The rest is all just filtered, which is kind of off putting. This information makes me think a lot differently about my online searches, or Facebook. How does this filter really know me? It just knows what I click on and not what I may truly be interested in that now I am potentially missing out on. It makes me want to click on anything i might even be remotely interested in so that I will have a bigger filter bubble with more ideas. Which is absurd to have to do.

   Having this said my search in the post "Who was Shakespeare" needs to be altered.  To better vary my information I'm going to use different search engines and double check the information I already have. Hopefully by doing this my details on Shakespeare won't be filtered like the rest of the information on the internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment