Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Who was Shakespeare?

  To me Shakespeare is some beyond human figure who is an amazing writer.  Ever since I was little Shakespeare just seemed so godly by the way people described him and then when I read his work for the first time (back in the day) I was sure he was not of this planet. As I moved higher into my education I realize the significants of Shakespeare and his work.  But still we all have that lingering question who is Shakespeare really? Who is this guy beyond just his writing, and to be honest it is very hard to pin point facts about him.
  According to some articles Shakespeare Shakespeare was a man from the small, country town of Stratford. Many people, however, reject the conventional view of his existence, and argue that Shakespeare was the pen name for Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, and that the Earl of Oxford had to conceal his authorship for social and political reasons.  Shakespeare's works contain a vast amount of knowledge, knowledge that the Stratford man could scarcely have acquired. Shakespeare knew the Greek and Roman classics; his works refer to the tragedies of Sophocles, the dialogues of Plato, and many other ancient classics. Shakespeare also had a firm grasp of politics. Shakespeare had a deep knowledge of legal matters, not just an intuitive understanding of the law, but a knowledge of legal details and specifics. These Examples almost complete deny the fact that Shakespeare was merely not Shakespeare.  He was an amazing, poetic, play writer who will go down in history for his work.
  My thoughts on Shakespeare have greatly changed especially this year, but I still do not believe the fact that there is no Shakespeare. I feel as if it is just some people flirting with the possible idea of it and some people caught on and the idea blew up!  I feel now with the interesting background and the better understanding of Shakespeare I feel more intrigued to truly look into his work and interpret it on a whole new level.


http://www.ljhammond.com/essays/shak1.htm


http://shakespeare.about.com/od/shakespearebasics/tp/Who_Was_Shakespeare.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment