Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tools That Change The Way We Think

"Back in 2004, I asked [Google founders] Page and Brin what they saw as the future of Google search. 'It will be included in people's brains,' said Page. 'When you think about something and don't really know much about it, you will automatically get information.'

'That's true,' said Brin. 'Ultimately I view Google as a way to augment your brain with the knowledge of the world. Right now you go into your computer and type a phrase, but you can imagine that it could be easier in the future, that you can have just devices you talk into, or you can have computers that pay attention to what's going on around them and suggest useful information.'

'Somebody introduces themselves to you, and your watch goes to your web page,' said Page. 'Or if you met this person two years ago, this is what they said to you... Eventually you'll have the implant, where if you think about a fact, it will just tell you the answer."

In response internet use of media and other technological advances have changed my thinking tremendously in many different ways. I rely heavily on the internet for everything including social media, homework, and entertainment. Does this mean it has changed my thinking? I think so. The fact that a computer generates a lot of thinking for me makes thinking about thinking, well, difficult.
I feel as if Google and other search engines have taken over our thinking in a sense. This idea of "the filter bubble" is a prime example of this. As well as filtering our information google has also led it to be easier to not really research on our own, but to rely on "keywords" and "specific examples" to research itself. This has influenced my thinking, in part, by making my mind a little more lazy than generations before. Smart phones were non-existent "back in the day" and a lot of people had to physically open a book to get the information they needed to acquire. This is what makes this new generation so different, our thoughts and dependencies all rely on the use of the internet.
Social media on the internet also has a huge impact on my thinking and i'm sure it does to many others as well. Sites such as Facebook and Twitter and even blog sites are constantly influencing our thought process. When we read everyone else's thoughts, online, our thoughts begin to consist of their thoughts, so it makes the idea of thinking about our own thoughts very difficult. This is not to be confuse with the idea that people are solely influenced by the internet, although by the way that teenagers use the internet these days what they say and do, is clearly affected, in a small part, by social media.
The internet not only influences the minds of this generation it also occupies a lot of our time, sometimes it takes away from time in which we should be focussing on more important things. I know from personal experience that Facebook takes me away from my homework all the time and it gets me to thinking is really worth it? Social media takes away from my priorities and I honestly feel that it affects my thinking in a negative way as well. Although Facebook, Twitter and all the other social sites do connect many friends, in the end the time we use dwelling over other peoples problems could be used to think about solutions to our own issues.
The internet has so many advances that we should all be very thankful for in our time, but we truly don't know if it's for the best. In the past ten years technology has been outrageous, in sense that the social world is magnificent. Everyone enjoys the internet and really who in the right mind wouldn't? Unless they really looked into what is going on. I'm not saying the internet is taking over the world, but I am saying it has a large impact on all of our minds and whether its a good or bad impact is really for you to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment