Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"To Facebook, Or Not to Facebook?..."

   Facebook is fun, exciting, and outrageously easy; so what person in the right mind wouldn't love it?  When I first found Facebook I thought it was the coolest think since Myspace.  Contacting friends and sharing your ideas was so easy and at the click of a button I was able to do exactly what I wanted, no questions asked.  It is so simple and in our society, that is what most people cherish about Facebook, the simplicity.
   I personally didn't get a Facebook until I was fifteen years old and I fell in love. I have been working with computers my whole life so when this whole ordeal came about I knew first hand how to maneuver it, even the privacy settings.  It is really disheartening how Facebook refuses to recognize the privacy issues it have for children under the age of seventeen.  I feel if it has been seen as a probably a big corporation like Facebook should shift to fit it's users needs and desires, but according to the NY Times article this is not so.    Even as someone who is computer savvy I still did not know some of the things it was describing in the article, which is unsettling.  Being a new customer of the Iphone it is also very weird to think that everything I do or post is potentially posting my exact location, unless I make the correct changes.  For some one who does not know this is so vulnerable, children who are unaware are potential to predators stalking there every move.
  While, yes, I admit to being a Facebook addict at the same time I wish there were liable changes that we could see in the privacy issue.  Facebook is fun and it's great to keep in touch with family and old friends, but in the hands of the wrong person things could go wrong, fast.  I believe some things should change with in Facebook to ensure its' users protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment